It's Better to Travel than Arrive?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

Robert Louis Stevenson, Virginibus Puerisque, 1881.


"Robert Louis Stevenson speaks utter tosh and has

obviously never flown long haul economy class"

Kristy, first ever blog post, 2011.


Monday, December 10, 2012

Great Thai Food at Suda, Bangkok, Thailand



Ah, Suda, I'm always so thrilled each time I visit Bangkok to find that you're still exactly the same.  I would eat there every day if I could (and sometimes I do!).  I was introduced to Suda by a local when we lived in Bangkok and it's pretty much the first place I go each time I arrive back in Bangkok - when I'm sitting in Suda I really know I've arrived back "home".

Suda has fantastic, cheap, safe Thai food.  It's one step up from street food (the little stalls you see on the side of the road), but it's certainly not fancy restaurant food.  It's a place for locals and it's another place that you won't find in the guidebooks.

It's semi open air dining, down Soi 14 off Sukhumvit Road (closest Skytrain/BTS stop is Asok) and it looks a bit basic and grotty.  Let's be honest, it is a bit basic and grotty, but it's FANTASTIC!

I almost always order Khao Phad Gai with Prik Nam Pla (Thai fried rice with a little bowl of chilli and fish sauce) and a can of Diet Coke for the princely sum of 80 baht (€2).  It's absolutely scrumptious and I leave a tip of 20 baht.  They have a big menu and everything I've ordered has been great.  If you've got room, try their mango and sticky rice for dessert - swoon!


My lunch at Suda - cheap, cheerful and so tasty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment!